Tell Me Why
So what did come first the chicken or the egg. Who turned on the first red light, the punter or the prostitute. Confused, I’m a little bit like that about many things in life and Thailand is without doubt one of them.
I first landed in Thailand in January 1999 and one of my Thai Tales, The Beginning Part Two recalls that memorable day. Over ten years and thirty trips later you would think I would know most things about Thailand, you couldn’t be more wrong.
In total adding together all my Land of Smiles vacations I have spent nearly three years of my life in Thailand and there is so much that I have yet to learn. Listed below are a few of the many things that I want to know the answers to and I’m hoping you can help me, I need somebody to tell me why.
- If it costs 1800 baht in a taxi from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya, why does it only cost 1200 baht to get back?
You land and if you’re heading for Pattaya then you want to get there as quickly as you can. Going home most tourist’s leave for the airport as late as possible, so why the much cheaper fare?
- Why don’t Thai men have moustaches or beards?
It’s rare that Thai men grow a moustache or beard but why not, other Asian men sport the look with style.
- What is the national dish of Thailand?
In the UK fish and chips is a big favourite but I would say the traditional Beef Sunday roast would rate as the UK’s traditional dish, but what is Thailand’s?
- At what age does a ladyboy become a man?
I have seen hundreds of ladyboys in their twenties and early thirties but I can’t remember seeing a sixty year old ladyboy. Where do all the ladyboys go, do they at some age decide they’re a man again, can you provide the answer because this one’s a mystery to me.
- When I pay for a meal in a Thai restaurant, why does the waiter or waitress nearly always offer my change to my girlfriend?
This has happened so many times that it’s difficult recollecting the last time my change was offered to me.
- They say ” You can take the girl out of the bar, but you can’t take the bar out of the girl .” True or false.
The famous Pattaya saying and one I am in two minds about, what’s your answer and why.
- Why do Thai people smile so much?
The less well off Thai folk have very little money and very little hope of a better and more secure future. So why do they smile so much? Is it religion, does money bring worry and unhappiness or are they just a happy nation.
- If a farang’s (westerner) Thai wife meets his daughter for the first time and the daughter is older than her father’s wife, who wai’s (greets) who first?
This one has got me beat and it’s one for the married men to answer.
If you’ve got an answer to one of the above questions then please drop it into the comments box. Thanks.
Photogaph Thai Lady boys by © cndance
Photograph Bangkok taxi by © storman111