Nightlife in Udon Thani – Bars and Clubs
Anyone who steps outside of Thailand’s tourist brochure for the first time and hops on a plane, train or bald-tyre bus to one of the country’s provincial cities are probably surprised their lemming-style leap has a soft, cushy landing and not a loud, dull thump. Thailand’s major cities have both quality and decently priced hotels as well as a puddle of first-rate restaurants that won’t splash your cash too far – that’s the soft landing and one that surprises many sand-in-their-toes tourists.
Udon Thani Province is in the northeastern region of Thailand. The only city, Udon Thani, has a suite and soufflé of affordable hotel rooms and restaurants but also holds in its hands an ace few major provincial cities can twist. Udon Thani may be a low-key tourist municipality, but its glut of bars and clubs are a godsend and eye-opener for ‘many of the few’ travellers who arrive there. Nightlife in Udon Thani is fertile and well-endowed produce but is one that deserves a bit more sand shaken out of shoes.
Nightlife in Udon Thani doesn’t have anywhere near the number of bars or hustle the likes of Pattaya has – in comparison, its nightlife is more wood chip than blue-chip. Still, its cup is half full with enough bars and clubs to suggest Pattaya’s wild child resort might bitch about sweet Udon in the girl’s powder room.
Udon Thani’s main nightlife gambols in the city centre and sits in-between two side-by-side night markets and the fashionable Central Plaza Shopping Complex. The area has enough bars, restaurants, fast food outlets and snack stalls to give Slim Shady heartburn and persuade a bulimia-stressed killjoy to swap their final straw for a deep-fried cricket. Udon Thani’s nightlife scene has a lively beat and a bunch of good bars and clubs that merit more media attention. Hopefully, that will come, but until then, there’s little sand gathering on Udon Thani’s nightclub dance floors.
Some of the clubs and bars listed below are either a short walk from Udon Thani’s main nightlife action or within a fifteen-minute taxi/samlor ride away.
Nightlife in Udon Thani – Clubs
- Tawan Daeng Pub – A live music venue that’s a favourite hang-out for young Thais. And well-liked by westerners knowledge of Udon Thani nightlife. The Tawan Daeng Pub is at the rear of Central Plaza on Thikhananon Road near to the Centara Hotel & Convention Centre.
- Yellow Bird Nightclub – Another live music club that’s part of the Charoen Hotel complex on Phosri Road and a short walk away from the main nightlife drag. The Yellow Bird rates as one of the best nightspots in Udon Thani.
- Vogue Club – A trendy Thai disco and live music spot in the Hi-Tech Bar Complex on Thahan Road near Udon Thani Rajabhat University – that means lots of university students go there.
- Rhythm Club & Bar – Part of the Napalai Hotel complex and ranked by many as Udon Thani’s top nightclub. It’s a late-night venue on Pracharaksa Road and is a ten-minute ride from the city centre and an excellent place to pull a Thai girl or hamstring.
- UD Pub – Yet another popular music bar with the spotlight on live music and fun, fun, fun. The UD Pub is in Phon Phisai Road (off Thahan Road) at the Nong Prajak Park side of the city and is approximately a ten-minute taxi ride from Central Plaza.
- Wolverine Go-Go Bar – Udon Thani’s only go-go bar is on Adunyadet Road and is in walking distance from the main nightlife area.
Udon Thani Nightlife Bars
- Day & Night Bar Complex – A ‘cowshed’ hosting a barrel of bars which on a busy night combine to create a great atmosphere. There’s plenty of bar girls at the Day & Night, all keen to please their customers. A fun venue if you’re with the right crowd. Day & Night nestles in the bosom of the nightlife action on Sampanthamit Road.
- Nutty Park – A gig of 20 or so bars near the night markets and a popular pick-up point for anyone in need of a Thai bar girl’s company. It has a lot of bar regulars who go there for the social side of things, and some bars sell food too. Nutty Park is a place I strongly recommend for singles.
- Mr Tong’s – A long-time established Thai owned late-night DJ hosted music bar that attracts Udon Thani’s in-crowd and ex-pats as well. The bar is right next to the Centrepoint night market.
- Western Pub – A country and Western-style music bar opposite the Napalai Hotel with a host band that plays ‘yee-ha’ cowboy music. It’s not a place for Young Guns, more for the music-loving soul.
- The Irish Clock – The ‘Clock’ is Udon Thani’s most well-known western bar and one which always attracts a regular bunch of ex-pats and tourists. The bar has a buddy-buddy atmosphere coupled with a mouth-watering menu. It’s an ideal place for singles, couples and groups. The Irish Clock is in Udon Thani’s nightlife friendly Sampanthamit Road, two minutes from Central Plaza.
Shake a few grains of sand in Udon Thani and enjoy the nightlife in Udon Thani bar and club scene.
If you have enjoyed this post then why not get Beyond The Mango Juice delivered free to your desktop or by email via my RSS feed…… You can also sign up for my Beyond The Mango Juice page on Facebook by clicking on the link here.